Sunday, August 11, 2013

STOMACH-YIN DEFICIENCY

STOMACH-YIN DEFICIENCY

Aetiology
The Stomach is a Yang organ but it frequently suffers from Yin deficiency.  Indeed, I would say that Stomach-Yin deficiency is very common in the patients we see.  The cause of Stomach-Yin deficiency is irregular eating habits.  That includes eating late at night, eating in a hurry, eating while working, eating standing up, etc. all very common habits in the patients we see. 

Another less common cause of Stomach-Yin deficiency is eating too drying foods.  The Stomach likes warm but moist foods such as soups, porridge or rice congee.  “Drying” foods includes broiled or baked foods which would include bread. Broiling and baking makes foods dry and causes dryness when eaten in excess.  That dryness can eventually lead to Stomach-Yin deficiency.  Interestingly, there is very little broiling and baking in Chinese cooking and even bread is steamed (man tou) rather than baked.

Diagnosis
How do we know there is Stomach-Yin deficiency?  Primarily from lack of coating on the tongue. The normal tongue coating derives from the Stomach rotting and ripening and it indicates a normal functioning of the Stomach.  When Stomach-Yin is deficient, there is no coating on the tongue.

However, there are some intermediate stages before reaching a full-blown Stomach-Yin deficiency and no coating on the tongue.  The very beginning of Stomach-Yin deficiency will manifest with a coating without root. A coating without root looks likes it is resting on the tongue rather than growing out of the tongue body the same way grass grows out of the soil.

The next stage of Stomach-Yin deficiency is manifested with a tongue that lacks a coating in patches, wherever the patches may be: they may not necessarily be in the Stomach area in the centre of the tongue. 

The tongues below all lack a coating in patches.














Please note that when the tongue lacks a coating but has a normal colour, it indicates Stomach-Yin deficiency without Empty Heat: it is only when the tongue lacks a coating and it is red, that it indicates Empty Heat deriving from Stomach-Yin deficiency.

The tongue below is a good example of a tongue that lacks a coating but is not red.












 The two tongues below are without coating and red, therefore indicating Stomach-Yin deficiency and Empty Heat. The tongue on the right indicates an extreme degree of Empty Heat.



 Another sign of Stomach-Yin deficiency is a Stomach crack (or cracks) on the tongue.  However, Stomach cracks may indicate a constitutional tendency to Stomach-Yin deficiency rather than the actual pathology.  In any case, when I see such cracks I nourish Stomach-Yin.



The tongues below show Stomach cracks.

















Treatment
The treatment depends a lot on the tongue: if there is coating but it is either rootless or
in patches, I use Shen Ling Bai Zhu San Ginseng-Poria-Atractylodes Powder.

If the coating is missing entirely, I use Sha Shen Mai Dong Tang
Glehnia-Ophiopogon Decoction.

With acupuncture, the points to nourish Stomach-Yin are very simple: Ren-12 Zhongwan, ST-36 Zusanli and SP-6 Sanyinjiao.

Obviously treatment must include also a change in eating habits.

7 comments:

  1. If tongue looks similar to any of above (but with peeled coating at front of tongue only with red right edge) and there are palpitations after food or when patient has a lot of acid/heartburn or just a lot of heat in stomach and gullet region is this still at least partly a stomach/spleen yin deficiency?

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I AM BEATRICE from UNITED STATE, my man was cheating on me since last year with his co_worker, i was upset and confused on what to do, i tried my best to win his heart back but all effort was wasted until on 21 of this February when i came across a spiritual man called DR MACK, i saw a many post about his wonderful work and i contact him via his Email and explained to him and he asked for some information which i gave him and he told me that my heart desire will be granted just in 3 days, i was skeptical but i gave me the chance to help me, to my surprise my Boyfriend called me 5 time to tell that he is so sorry and that he wants me back and wants to marry me, everything happened like a dream but i am so happy that i have my boyfriend back and we are planning to get married soon, if you want to Ex back please don't hesitate to contact ( dr.mac@yahoo.com ;).

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the information. Helpful for me as a written reference. cara mengobati asam lambung naik

    ReplyDelete
  5. Life is good when you have your love ones around you, I am saying this because when i had issues with my lover i never seen life as a good thing but thanks to Dr. OGUDUGU OF OGUDUGU SOLUTION TEMPLE, for helping me to cast a spell that brought my lover back to me within the space of 48hours. My husband left me for another woman after 7YEARS of marriage,but Dr.OGUDUGU help me cast a spell that brought him back to me within 48hours. I am not going to tell you more details about myself rather i will only advise those who are having issues in there relationship or marriages to contact Dr.OGUDUGU SOLUTION TEMPLE through these details via; (GREATOGUDUGU@GMAIL.COM Website: http://greatdrogudugusolutiontemple.webs.com/) or call him on WHATSAPP: +2348055304321?


    ReplyDelete
  6. TAKE IT OR LEAVE WE STILL REMAIN THE ONLY TRUE EXISTING SPELL CASTER ON EARTH.
    Warm Regards to all that has lost there job, lost there lovers, the ones that are battling with examination to pass, you need to win a lotto, you need to do death spell for your enemy, you want to get what your heart desire without working nor doing anything to get it, With the help of Dr Ajayi Ololo, Theses problems are solved.. Cos over here in this great temple that is know world wide as the best and greatest spell caster temple, There is no problem that do not have a solution when you come to this temple OF OLOLO. I will also want all of you to know that there are so many swindlers / scammers that has claim to be spell caster, Just to get money from those that need help. I also come to tell you to beware of these so called temples online that can never help you solve your problem. I Dr Ajayi Ololo will want to tell you all that there iS no spell caster online that can ever be like us, Cos we have helped so many individuals to get all there heart desire online. Anyone that require the help of our services should kindly send an email to the following email address: ajayiololo@yahoo.com .

    ReplyDelete